Who are the SLEAP Host Families?

They are members of the local community with a spare room in their homes who want to help a young person. Some live on their own, some have families, some have pets. Some are retired, some go out to work and some work at home. They are all from different backgrounds, different ages and different genders.

What type of support will I get on Supported Lodgings?

You will get your own bedroom in the home where you stay. The host family will be there as someone you can talk to when you want to chat. They will teach you practical skills like cooking and doing the laundry, planning meals and shopping. You will also have the SLEAP support workers around. They will help with things like applying for benefits, sorting out debts, doing CV’s, finding out any information you need, getting registered with doctors or dentists and a whole lot more, depending on what you want. The support you get, depends on what you want to achieve and the help you may decide you need.

How long can I stay on Supported Lodgings?

There is no time limit. Some young people only need to stay for a couple of months but normally they tend to stay for 9 to 12 months and sometimes longer.

What if a Supported Lodgings placement doesn’t work out?

Issues usually get resolved quite easily. However, if there are problems between the host family and the young person, staff are around to mediate and help sort things out. Sometimes, a break can be arranged or a new way forward will be agreed.

What type of support will I get on Moving4ward?

The team at SLEAP are there to work in partnership with you – that means that you are in charge of deciding what it is that you would like help with. It will depend on the things you are doing well with (your strengths) and those things that you may be struggling with a bit more (your needs). So this will look different from young person to young person – it could be things like finding accommodation, applying for benefits, sorting debts out, speaking to other professionals on your behalf, looking for training or work experience, finding jobs, writing CVs, getting furniture, joining groups that can support you, making new friends, help with traveling, medical appointments, referrals and lots more.

How do I get to the Host Family home?

SLEAP staff will take you for an introductory visit and check that you know the public transport routes for the future.

As a host family, will I be taking responsibility for the young person staying at my home?

You will not be asked to take parental responsibility for the young person, they will be a lodger in your home. We do ask you to provide guidance and support to help young people become independent, confident adults.

What about house insurance if I have a lodger?

There should not be a problem but we recommend that you notify your house insurance provider that you have a lodger living with you.

Do I need permission from my landlord before I have a lodger?

If you are a tenant, you need to check your tenancy agreement first and if there is no right to sub-let, you need to gain permission of your landlord.

What if I just want to attend the occasional Buzz activity?

That’s fine, you can pick and choose the activities that interest you.

Do I need to pay for the Buzz activity?

No, everything is free, and food and transport are usually provided.

We encourage people to fulfil their potential